Skip to content
Remedies for AffluenzaEconation2018-11-30T14:39:12+00:00
Remedies for Affluenza
- Be very critical of advertising, don’t get sucked in by any emotional tugs on your heart-strings. Ask yourself what type of fear or insecurity the advertisement is playing on. Rather than buying the whatever-it-is, which won’t help you in the long run, try and do something about the insecurity.
- Before you buy something ask yourself:
- Do I really need it?
- Can I get by without it?
- Do I want to clean and maintain it?
- How many hours will I have to work to pay for it?
- How long will the buzz last after buying it and is it worth it?
- How long did I feel good for the last time I bought something like this?
- Can I get it without buying it? Can you rent or borrow it?
- A good rule for avoiding impulse buying is to sleep on it. you are likely to find that you do not feel so strongly about buying something the next day.
- Just don’t go shopping. Go hiking, swimming, picnicing or play sport with the kids instead.
- Instead of buying stuff try selling some stuff.
- Instead of going shopping give your time: volunteer for a charity, school or community group. Giving feels better for longer than shopping.
- Savour. One or two special things can be savoured and enjoyed much more than a whole pile of junk.
- Stay at home – invite friends around, play a game, bake bread, write a letter, cuddle a loved one.
- Make a budget – know how much you are earning and limit your spending. Each dollar you spend represents precious time in your life that you worked?
- The Joneses are the thriftiest, least wasteful people. Try to keep up with them.
- Instead of buying it try making it or better still fix the old one you have.